Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Background & Purpose
Since NAYGN’s inception in 1999, the nuclear industry has looked to our organization as the voice of the young generation. Recent survey results from the 2020 Career Report have shown that NAYGN membership is not diverse in comparison to the energy and nuclear industry as a whole. The 2020 career report can be found at https://naygn.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Final-2020-Career-Report.pdf
This special committee is being formed to help address those gaps and make NAYGN a more diverse and inclusive organization. Recruitment and retention of diverse nuclear members in both the industry and NAYGN and career support for all members will greatly benefit both the NAYGN organization and the nuclear industry.
In addition to addressing diversity and inclusion within NAYGN, this committee will serve to help address systemic racism in our organization, the industry, and our communities.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop actions and initiatives based on input from the committee, NAYGN members, and NAYGN core.
- The NAYGN core sponsor is responsible for general guidiance of the committee. The Committee lead is responsible for leading committee activities and member actions.
- Committee to provide periodic updates to the Core and the general membership on D&I initiatives.
- Committee to identify and communicate areas of concern or opportunities for improvement within the D&I Committee.
- Committee Sponsor: Attend the yearly NAYGN Core meeting to provide a committee report-out.
- Maintain the D&I Committee Charter current by reviewing and, if necessary, revising it periodically.
- Member content to better understand unconscious bias.
- Developing/Expanding our partnerships with Women In Nuclear and the National Society of Black Engineers.
- Developing strategy and guidance for chapter discussions on social issues.
- Understanding the value of diversity in companies/teams.
- Strategically using NAYGN’s voice within the industry to advocate for and stress the need of a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Developing an outreach program targeting underrepresented groups, educating them about clean nuclear energy and careers.
As we continue to shape actions into NAYGN’s Strategic Plan, we welcome additional members to engage with this committee and help be the example of how we can institute change. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to engage with the D&I Council – we’d be happy to work with you.
To review the current state of diversity and inclusion in the NAYGN organization and form actions and initiatives to make NAYGN a more diverse and inclusive environment. Additionally, these initiatives should ultimately help NAYGN to be better in addressing systemic racism in our organization, in the nuclear industry, and in the communities we live.
Want to learn more?
Read about the committee’s roles and responsibilities in the